Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Second Second Life? SL Viewer 2.0 is here!

I was just checking my account on the SL web page when I noticed the banner advertising the much-heralded Viewer 2.0. Downloaded, eager to check weather this would be the end of the world as we know it.

When logging in, the first thing I noticed was that the entire window was covered with panels LOL. After getting rid of a few, I got a screen like the one above.

There are lots of nice new features here; I particularily loved not having to click off all the blue group screen messages when logged in; they are available in a pop-up menu at the bottom.

Notice the navigational bar at top, making the view a bit like a web browser. One can click the Back button to TP to the previous TP location, and forward works too! And, a row of buttons, just like the Firefox navigational bar elimenates the need to sort through your inventory when moving around to your most-visited places. Does not seem possible to drop a folder there though, to get sub menus aka Firefox.

Lots of information is showing in the various dialogs, without the need to open new windows. And when I opened a message informing me of someone giving me an item, I could click on the name of the item and the inventory would open on that item!

The interface will take a bit getting used to, but for now I must say I really like the main ideas. Do have a try!

No comments: