Saturday, June 26, 2010

29 of 52 - Life in a thread

I have often thought of Second Life as life hanging by a thin thread. It takes so little to disrupt it, to feel that the thread is almost breaking.

Lately, it seems that the gods of network and computing has conspired upon me to cut the connection. I wonder if I am somewhat cursed - every computer I try to connect to SL (or ReactionGrid for that part, poor Chris have had a hard time at the support desk LOL) seems to wither and die - and yesterday, when I was happy and finally had a screen giving me 30fps inworld, I managed to forget the modem at home... sigh...

Anyway, I guess that since the sun is shining and the day is a nice warm summer day, I should be outside building with real heavy wooden prims instead. I just miss some people....

The parts for a new VPN server has finally arrived; next week I will hopefully have a more stable network solution at work, and a more updated PC at home LOL. In the mean time, I'll go enjoy the sun.

Much have been said about our departed CEO, M. Much of what he tried to do with SL was not what a lot of us "hard-core" SL-er would like to see. But in his first year, he did manage to improve stability on the server side a lot - and for that at least I am thankful. Now, if Philip can just initiate a Viewer 3.0 with some stability and performance tricks up the sleave, like running 30fps on a modest laptop, HTML texture download, working through firewalls at port 80, facebook login (no, just kidding!), the combinded effect would be great!

2 comments:

Ener Hax said...

derr on me, i thought a past post was the reaching of your blogging goal =\

hmm, wonder why connecting is such a pain for you, that has to suck =(

DreamWalker posted with a few tips on more stability that still apply:

http://blog.iliveisl.com/zoom-zoom/

and for me, i run CCleaner weekly as well as Defraggler and check monthly for video drivers from NVidia

i hope you stability sticks! the new opensim seems nice as does the new imprudence viwer

Cristopher Lefavre said...

A clean install of Windows and the latest Hippo viewer seems to make my laptop happy again:-) Come the long dark autumn evenings, I think I migth want to invest in a ridiculous expensive NVidia card for the pc in the basement....